Meeting Room Policy
Meeting Rooms and Auditorium Use Policy
Bexley Public Library maintains an auditorium and small meeting rooms. The primary purpose of these spaces is to promote library services and library activities presented by library staff. The spaces may be reserved by governmental or non-profit groups for civic, cultural, or educational programs, or by individuals for study and collaboration. For-profit groups may use a meeting room if and only if they are presenting an educational program for the general public in partnership with the library. Private social functions are prohibited. Access will be provided on equal terms, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting use. The library does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints of any group or individual.
Stipulations for Meeting Room Usage
- The Library is committed to providing a safe and welcoming space for all. As such, our Patron Code of Conduct applies to individuals and groups in all spaces of the library, including meeting rooms.
- All meetings must be free and open to the public. This means that groups using Bexley Public Library’s meeting spaces may not charge admission to the meeting or fees of any kind.
- No products or services may be advertised, solicited, or sold in library meeting rooms or on library property.
- Educational courses conducted by non-profit agencies, excluding private tutoring, may charge fees for learning materials or course credits, but the program must be open for observation to members of the general public who do not pay fees.
- For the purposes of fundraising or book-signings, only events sponsored or co-sponsored by the library are permitted.
- The library may permit presenters at library-sponsored programs to sell merchandise related to the subject or activity of their programs.
- Notices posted in the library or submitted to the media announcing the meeting must first be approved by the Library Director or her designee.
- Publicity about the use of the meeting room by a non-library group shall not state that the library sponsors the group’s activities unless the activity is being cosponsored by the library.
- The name, address, or telephone number of Bexley Public Library may not be used as the contact information for such events.
- Library staff will not be responsible for answering questions about the details of an event beyond the time, date, and location.
- No decorations, posters, or any other materials may be installed in the meeting rooms without prior Bexley Public Library approval.
- Refreshments are restricted to the Meeting Rooms (except for covered beverages) and are not permitted in other parts of the library except during library-sponsored events.
- Smoking, use of alcohol, and burning candles or other flammable substances are prohibited at all times throughout the library.
- Meeting room use may not interfere with library operations or cause a disturbance in the library.
- Unacceptable levels of interference or disturbance shall be determined by the Director or library staff.
- The individual placing the room reservation must have a valid Bexley Public Library card.
- Meetings must be held during regular library service hours. Meeting rooms must be returned to their pre-use condition and vacated 15 minutes before the library closes.
- Library sponsored or co-sponsored programs take precedence over other groups at all times. Thus, the library reserves the right to cancel a reservation if the space is required for use by the library or a library related organization.
- The library also reserves the right to limit the number of available meeting room openings per month.
- The Library Director may waive any meeting room regulation and may deny or cancel any application for reservation of meeting room space.
- Groups can schedule use up to 60 days (two months) in advance with a minimum of 24- hours’ notice.
- A single group or organization may use the auditorium no more than once per month.
- Groups are limited to a maximum of 50 participants per reservation.
- Confirmation from the library must be received by the requesting organization before a request has been formally approved.
- Minors are not permitted to use the auditorium without adult supervision unless approved by the library director.
- If asked, Bexley Public Library can and will provide access to chairs and tables. With prior notice use of audiovisual equipment and the kitchenette may be available upon request. Groups using the kitchenette must provide their own supplies.
- Set-up in the auditorium is the responsibility of the group using the space. As a courtesy to other library patrons, carpooling or offsite parking is encouraged.
- The library assumes no liability for theft or damage to property brought onto public property or for injuries which occur as a result of actions of sponsors or participants during activities taking place in meeting rooms.
- The individual or group reserving a meeting room will be responsible for the order and conduct of the group, for any loss or damage to library property, as well as any cost resulting from the failure to clean up the space and return it to its pre-use condition. Failure to comply may result in the assessment of a cleaning fee and/or loss of privileges.
If you have any questions, please use our contact page.